30.10.11

Midnight in Paris - Elegant Escapism.

Last night I went to see Woody Allen's latest release, Midnight in Paris - and I absolutely loved it.

The photography was just perfect - a love affair with the city - and the performances were charming. But what I loved the most was the way in which the film was unashamedly littered with literary and artistic references. Aspiring novelist Gil Penderton (Owen Wilson) is frustrated by his shopaholic and superficial fiancée (Rachel McAdams) by day; but surrounded by his cultural heros by night (F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Pablo Picasso, T.S. Eliot and Gertrude Stein to name but a few).

Marion Cotillard (Adriana) and Owen Wilson (Gil) strolling through the streets.

Partying with Ernest Hemingway (Corey Stoll)...

... and the Fitzgeralds (Alison Pill and Tom Hiddleston).


Taxidermy & teasing glances.

A clever comment on nostalgia and ideas of a "golden age", Midnight in Paris left me feeling enchanted and elated. Allen seamlessly slips from modern-day Paris, to the roaring 20s, to the belle époque and back again. Gil's nocturnal wanderings fulfilled so many of my own fantasies; while it's hard to pick (the cast of characters is so extensive) I would spend an evening with the Fitzgeralds (a little bit obsessed with Scott & Zelda - as everyone knows, they sure knew how to have a party). And can I just say, the casting was impeccable for each and every cultural icon cameo.


Midnight in Paris was pure elegant escapism - lovely and life-affirming.

I'll leave you with another Fitzgerald that I love.

3 comments:

Letícia said...

i Loved the pics!
the film looks very good!
I want to see!!!=D XOXO


rockerglam.blogspot.com

Rachel Louisa. said...

It was fantastic - and full of beautiful clothes, too! :)

chelsea said...

So I perused your tags and saw one called nostalgia. So I clicked on it and voila! Right to the post I was looking for! Ha! Yes, I thought the photography was beautiful as well, made me want to spend a rainy day in Paris, just sitting in a cafe, drinking and reading. And I too loved the Fitzgeralds.