The World in One Room - World Press Photo 2012 Exhibition, Southbank Centre.

Yesterday afternoon I wandered down to the Southbank Centre with my brother to take a look at the World Press Photo exhibition - which has to be one of the most moving displays I have ever seen. 

A vast variety of events from across the year were depicted, and I have chosen just four to include below, but every single photo on display was stunning. The range of emotions which the exhibition both featured and provoked was really astounding, and I couldn't help but be amazed by the courage of both the subjects and the photographers themselves.

The World Press Photo 2012 winners are on display at the Southbank Centre until the 27th. 

See the whole selection online here. 

Yuri Kozyrev

"Rebels battle for Ras Lanuf, an oil-refining town on the Libyan coast, on 11 March. The uprising against the regime of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi had grown out of clashes with authorities in the east-Libyan city of Benghazi, in mid-February. Anti-Gaddafi sentiment was strongest in the east of the country, and Benghazi came to be seen as the rebel stronghold. Ras Lanuf had fallen to anti-government forces on 4 March, during their initial advance west, towards the capital Tripoli. After heavy bombardment by land, sea and air, Gaddafi’s forces retook the city on 10 March, and began pushing the rebels back. For some days it appeared that even Benghazi would be retaken. Gaddafi’s counter-advance was halted after NATO planes began bombing Libyan military targets, following a UN resolution on 17 March. Rebel forces began moving west again and by the end of the month had recaptured Ras Lanuf, though they would not permanently occupy the city until late August."

Alejandro Kirchuk

"Marcos and Monica were married for 65 years and, for much of that time, lived in the same apartment in Buenos Aires. In 2007, aged 84, Monica was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. Marcos looked after her himself, coping with the emotional and physical stress of being a caregiver. In the later stages of Monica’s illness, Marcos had to feed her, pureeing her meals beforehand as she could not chew. During the last year of her life, Monica was bedridden and Marcos had to change her diapers three times daily and help visiting nurses treat her bedsores – activities that took up most of his day. She could barely recognize him, though cuddles and caresses helped her to connect, even if for a few seconds. But Marcos was determined to care for his wife at home. “Tell me where she is going to be better than here,” he said. “I treat her like a princess, here she has everything.” Monica passed away in July 2011."

Samuel Aranda

"Fatima al-Qaws cradles her son Zayed (18), who is suffering from the effects of tear gas after participating in a street demonstration, in Sanaa, Yemen, on 15 October. Ongoing protests against the 33-year-long regime of authoritarian President Ali Abdullah Saleh escalated that day. Witnesses said that thousands marched down Zubairy Street, a main city thoroughfare, and were fired on when they reached a government checkpoint near the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Some demonstrators retreated, others carried on and were shot at again. At least 12 people were killed and some 30 injured. Ms Qaws—who was herself involved in resistance to the regime—found her son after a second visit to look for him, among the wounded at a mosque that was being used as a temporary field hospital. Zayed remained in a coma for two days after the incident. He was injured on two further occasions, as demonstrations continued. On 23 November, President Saleh flew to Saudi Arabia, and signed an agreement transferring power to his deputy, Abdurabu Mansur Hadi. Saleh’s rule ended formally when Hadi was sworn in as president, following an election, on 25 February 2012."

Li Yang

"A young woman in a wedding gown is grabbed by a local community officer, as she tries to commit suicide by jumping out of a seven-floor residential building, in Changchun, Jilin province, China. According to local reports, the attempt took place after the woman’s boyfriend of four years had broken up with her. They were believed to have been planning to marry. The young woman sustained no injuries during the incident."

No comments: