3.11.11

The Lure of Light; Felix Gonzales-Torres (Venice Biennale 2007).



Darkness is arriving earlier every evening.

Racing the dusk to my door, I was thinking about the lure of light on damp, dreary evenings and was prompted to share some photos I took four years ago now, at the 2007 Venice Biennale. Felix Gonzales-Torres represented the United States - these photos show his "Untitled" (America) installation.

This pavilion was one of the last ones I visited during that day, and evening was falling then, too. I remember being deeply drawn to the liquorice-like tangle of black cables, and the dulled glow of the bulbs - and how a household appliance that we so often take for granted, had been elevated by the artist into a thing of intriguing beauty.

1 comment:

yiqin; said...

the lights are pretty:)